2021 Applications Open
The Bill Powers Sabbatical enables a Washington grape or wine industry professional to undertake a sabbatical to learn about an aspect of winegrape growing and/or winemaking.
Bill Powers, the late owner and general manager of Badger Mountain Vineyard, passed away in 2013. Bill had an insatiable desire to find new and best practices to grow better wine grapes. In 1990, Bill transitioned his own enterprise to become the first certified organic wine grape vineyard in Washington State and was later inducted into the Legends of Washington Wine at the Walter Clore Center.
In honor of Bill Powers, employees of Badger Mountain Vineyard and Powers Winery developed the Bill Powers Sabbatical Fund.
The Bill Powers Sabbatical enables a professional currently employed in the Washington wine industry to undertake a sabbatical now or in the near future to an established wine-producing region of the world and learn about an aspect of winegrape growing or winemaking that will further their professional career and benefit the Washington grape and wine industry.
The sabbatical awards up to $5,000 to one individual currently working in the Washington wine industry with at least five (5) years of experience. Funds may be used for travel, room and board, education-related expenses, and/or reporting-related expenses.
Deadline to submit a proposal is July 30, 2021
To be considered applicants must submit:
- Applicant information form
- Current resume, including three references with contact information
- Sabbatical proposal narrative
- Anticipated expenses including research/resources justifying expenses
- Letter of recommendation and release from current employer
- Letter(s) of acceptance from proposed sabbatical destination(s)
- Media information: provide a photo and name of your hometown paper
Contact Us at (509) 782-1108 or email@example.com